1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Purchase the latest Yellowjackets recording Raising Our Voice from our Buzz Store. Depending on availability, signed copies may be available.

Where's Everybody From??

Discussion in 'Out Of Town' started by mark, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Frank

Frank Esteemed Member

Hi..I'm Frank from London. I've been an ardent fan since 1982 and can remember the summer my brother, a really talented guitarist who sadly passed away from cancer in November, lent me his copy of the first Jackets album..a bright brash yellow sleeve with huge insects on it. I thought 'what the hell is this?' But that album changed my life.

I'm an architect and company director, but I play the jackets whenever I need comfort and inspiration.

2. ian

ian Popular Member

Hi All
    I'm Ian, a 39 year old information worker from beautiful, troubled, but hopeful Cape Town, South Africa. I have been a Jackets fan right from the start! I have had the great honour to meet the guys on their 2 trips to SA . BloeMfontein in 2001, and Cape Town 2 weeks ago! Good to chat with all of you
    Ian

3. kiwizz

kiwizz Active Member

I'm from Bangkok, Thailand. I run book/CD shops and play piano/keyboard.

4. zivy

zivy Active Member

Hi all,
    I'm Ziv, 35 y/o from Israel, born in Argentina, inmigrated to Israel at 19 y/o.

I'm a YJ fan since 1989 when listening to them at a friend's house in Argentina

I played the flute when young for a few years, I started playing the tenor sax (which was my long life dream)last May 2006, and enjoy it since then!

Ziv

5. bernie12345

bernie12345 Esteemed Member

Where are you from?

My name is Barnaby Finch, and I live in Idyllwild, California. I'm a professional keyboardist, and a huge Jackets fan. So much so that I've had a Jackets cover band for a few years with Art Rodriguez on drums, Tim Landers on bass, and Paul Carman on sax. We play clubs once in a while, and our repertoire is about 90% Jackets, with a little Metheny, Grolnick, and Dave Grusin thrown in.

I also play up here every Tuesday, doing straight ahead jazz at Cafe Aroma with Marshall Hawkins and Paul. We do a wide variety of music and styles, including Monk, Wayne Shorter, Vince Mendoza, Grusin film music, Metheny, and quite a few Jackets tunes. We play Spirits, Prayer For Peace, The Village Gait, Go Go, Twilight For Nancy, and the orchestral intro to Greenhouse as an intro to Round Midnight - they're both in Eb minor.

I've been listening to the Jackets for many years, and got to know the guys a little when I've played in bands that were on the same bill - in the 80's, it was when I was with George Benson, and, in recent years, with Lee Ritenour. I've also attended many of the Jackets live shows. I love their writing, particularly Bob Mintzer and Russell Ferrante. Russ has graciously sent me many charts over the years, and I'm proofreading some of them, inputting them into Finale, and trying to find a way to make them available over the internet. The idea is .PDF files purchased with PayPal.

I've learned a great deal playing through the Jackets music. There are lots of great voicings and harmonies, and it has improved my hand independence and made me more comfortable with odd time signatures and displacements. I'm a fan forever!

Barnaby Finch

6. smiley557

smiley557 Active Member

Wow! I'm impressed that Barnaby Finch is posting on here!!!

I'm a teacher in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. I'm 27. I've grown up listening to Pat Metheny Group, Yellowjackets, Dave Grusin/Lee Ritenour, Larry Carleton, Chick Corea, and Jean-Luc Ponty, all thanks to Mom and Dad.
    ~Kerry

7. jazznmysoul

jazznmysoul Active Member

Ciao

Hey! My name is Claudio and I am a 46 year old retired Navy man living in Reno, NV. with my great family. I don't play any instruments, but I sure can tell when someone is playing one correctly or not. I love jazz and have a pretty good collection. Some of my favorite CD's are Miles Davis (Kind of Blue), Bill Evans (Quintessence), Chick Corea (Acoustic Band), Tom Schuman (Schuman Nature), Dino Saluzzi (Responsorium) and Gary Burton (Generations). It's all good and I'm glad to see many of you share the same taste. :D

8. RogerC47

RogerC47 New Member

Roger here, from Hartville, OH. I'm a software engineer and I love listening to jazz. I had heard of the Yellowjackets, but never listened to them. In 1992 I received Greenhouse as part of an introductory package in a CD club, and when I listened to it I was BLOWN AWAY! I've been collecting YJ albums ever since.

I also like Adam Makowicz, Chick Corea, Jeff Lorber, John Patitucci, Brian Bromberg, Dave Douglass, and for something completely different, Philippe Saisse.

9. Franko

Franko Popular Member

Franko, 59 years old from SF Bay Area originaly.

Born in SF now living in Tucson AZ. Started listening to the Jackets with the Robben Ford Band in the 70's.
    --Franko

10. TMONK10

TMONK10 Active Member

Villages

Hi, my name is Benoit and i'm from Montreal Quebec. I'm 47 and i'm a bassist. I guess the final answer about the "village" question is quite simple. Here in Quebec small towns are in fact villages. It's simply french for small town... Since Louisiana or Louisiane (from king Louis of France) was colonised by the french I guess the word village stayed and from my point of view it is pretty charming to read all those french names all over that state.
    Here in Quebec we're 7 million people and of those 7 million 80% speak only french... get the picture? Weird place for north america don't you think?

Peace

11. Ruud

Ruud Popular Member

Hello all !

My name is Ruud, I'm 41 years old and from The Netherlands.

I've been playing organ, keyboards and piano for 35 years and I got into the Yellowjackets since the "Politics" album. I've been a huge admirer of their music since then.

As a pianist, I especially like Russ' compositions and his approach of harmony and voicings.

12. Karen - Asia

Karen - Asia Active Member

Hi, I'm a young 50-something :( currently living in Phuket, Thailand, but will be moving to Penang, Malaysia next year.

I see Mark is in KL - can we persuade the "powers that be" to get the band to perform there? Or, even better, the Penang Jazz Festival :)

13. Russ

Russ Moderator Yellowjacket

Welcome Karen,
    We'd love to come there to perform. We just need an invitation from a concert promoter. That's the hard part!
    Russ

14. Bipslapper

Bipslapper New Member

Hello All,
    I am Pete, from Cape Cod, MA. Bass player for about 24 yrs, also play guitar, drums. Love music, all types and have been fortunate to have 2 great children who love/play music as well.
    As a bassist, I own many basses, but my favorite is my Roscoe. Love Jimmy and the YJ's. Peace !

15. Karen - Asia

Karen - Asia Active Member

Well you've got me thinking there. Maybe I'll start a new thread on this topic :)

16. Seitznz

Seitznz Active Member

Hi all,

I'm Hans from The Netherlands but living in New Zealand now. Thrilled to see that the YJ are coming to NZ next year. I'll be there. Leaving The Netherlands meant not being able anymore to see the guys at least once a year. This makes up for it. Been a fan since late 80's.

17. Paulog

Paulog Active Member

Hey,

I'm Paul from Ontario Canada (close to Toronto) and I'm 16. I play the drums and have just started the sax and have always dabbled on piano since taking lessons when I was a kid ;). Anyway, I've never found any band the the yj to create such grooves and melodies. Keep it up. And come to Toronto, Canada.

~Paul

18. Russ

Russ Moderator Yellowjacket

Thanks Paul!
    All the very best to you as you continue your musical journey. We'll do our best to keep working at it too.
    take care,
    Russ

19. sharond31

sharond31 New Member

I am Sharon from Manhattan, New york.
    Hope we will get to know each other pretty soon.

20. icryptic

icryptic New Member

hi there. i'm cryptic, enjoying this forum