1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Purchase the latest Yellowjackets recording Raising Our Voice from our Buzz Store. Depending on availability, signed copies may be available.

Should Russ Record a Solo Album?

Discussion in 'Russ's Room' started by Rudy, Nov 29, 2003.

?

Should Russ record a solo album?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wepopalot

wepopalot New Member

You mean to tell me I've been searching every mom and pop CD shop in the country for a CD that don't exist. Heck yeah, he needs to do a solo project, and do it now!

2. june

june Active Member

3. jacofan

jacofan Active Member

Absolutely!! I wonder why he hasn't yet. With all of the beautiful improvised and non-improvised solos he does on Yellowjackets tunes and his wonderful compositions, why wouldn't it be amazing? Russ, when are you going to make a solo album?
    BTW, did Will Kennedy finish his solo album yet?

4. Rudy

Rudy Administrator Staff Member Thread Starter

4-1/2 years later and I STILL think Russ should do a solo album! :D

5. Ron

Ron Popular Member

Should he really.... ;o)

Hey Rudy, you're absolutely right....

Hey Russ,.....Isn't that an absolutely clear vote?!?! We're waiting....... desperately...;o)
    I'm gonna remind you in summer personally..... I think I have to.... :eek:))))))

6. Rudy

Rudy Administrator Staff Member Thread Starter

If Russ and that band he hangs out with (I think they're called "Yellowjackets"?) comes to our area, I'll be sure to mention it. :D

7. ferdrummer

ferdrummer New Member

YES HE DEFINITELY SHOULD!!!

Ok, hereĀ“s the band for Russel:

Richard Bona-Bass
    Dave Weckl and Fernando Mendoza- drums
    Adam Rogers and Sandro Albert-Guitar
    Chis Potter and Gary Meek-Sax

8. jacofan

jacofan Active Member

How about this. Russ and some of Josef Zawinul's colleagues get together and do a JOE ZAWINUL TRIBUTE ALBUM!

Wayne Shorter: winds
    Victor Bailey: bass
    Nathaniel Townsley: drums

or

Russ + Zawinl Syndicate
    Garry Poulson: guitar
    Richard Bona: bass
    Paco Sery: drums
    Manolo Badrena: percussion

9. rickdenson

rickdenson New Member

Russ Solo Album

Russ should definitely record a solo album!!!

His "signature sound" is very unique innovative and Tasteful

GO FOR IT RUSS!!!!!

10. jacofan

jacofan Active Member

Come on Russ!

11. Franko

Franko Popular Member

Are you kidding? Of course, YES!!

At Thursday's, August 14th '08 show at Catalina's in Los Angeles I Told Geraldine that I felt Russ is one of the most prolific modern day Jazz songwriters and HE should do a SOLO project. She totally agreed and said she has been saying it for years. But Russ's main focus is the Yellowjackets.
    So in my book sometimes the sum is greater than the individual achievement's.
    --Franko
    Tucson

12. barrjoel

barrjoel New Member

I'd really like to see you do a solo album in the truest sense: no sidemen at all. I'm picturing sequences and miltitracking of all your favorite studio toys mixed with a few solo piano pieces.

13. guscaldas2

guscaldas2 New Member

Russ, solo work?

It would be a good idea to have Haslip on bass, Will Kennedy on drums, and Bob Mintzer on sax. Hopefully this is clear enough.

14. Terence

Terence Popular Member

Haha !

I think a solo album with just him on keys. ..... Preferrably a Christmas album too ;!

Peace from the East.
    Terence

15. mark

mark Esteemed Member

Years have passed since this topic came about and we're still waiting!! I know Russ is very committed to YJ but a solo project would be awesome! Imagine this "kick-ass" line up ...

Ferrante ... Keys & Piano
    Vinnie Colaiuta ... Drums
    John Patitucci ... Bass
    Steve Tavaglione ... Sax
    Frank Gambale ... Guitar

God bless

Mark

16. pianoman

pianoman Active Member

The simple answer is YES,YES,and YESSSSS! The effectiveness of the jackets has been largely the vehicle of composition. Russ is a monster in that department. Most of the guys in jackets have undoubtably contributed as well but russ is the main writer in that group, and the spirit that birthed all those great songs is is inherent in him,so it will just be a continuation of a chapter that started 30 years ago. U GO RUSS!!!

17. nightowlgk

nightowlgk New Member

I had to vote on this. It is unanimous. I love the Metheny idea......and would also like Manfred Eicher (ECM) to invite Russ and Gerry over to do whatever he wants to do. I'd also like a pony.

After all this time, it might be necessary for someone to light a fire and send a big check as an incentive. I would seriously pitch in.

As a kind of reference, I loved Lyle's solo Cd's....focusing on the piano more......great reviews too.

Its about the legacy of Russ' versatility outside the incredible YJ body of work. He has done such a great job with Marilyn, Layla and Kevyn, etc.

I know personally how hard it can be to write and record a whole CD, with a new concept, outside your "comfort zone". Having said that, I officially vote for a 3 volume set. Solo, trio, and larger group....and get Vince Mendoza or Claus involved too. OK, that's 4 volumes.

No pressure Russ.

18. altagedaliah

altagedaliah Active Member

Mitchel Forman and or Gil Goldstein.
    Make this a collaborative effort of my favorite musicians/composers/improvisers/arrangers. This is a must hear project.

19. lamb76

lamb76 New Member

Album- Solo

Yes!!! Most definitely!

20. RC

RC New Member

I'm listening to "Greenhouse" right now, and would love to hear Russ tackle some true orchestral compositions... or the exact opposite... he could just sit at the piano and press record and improvise for an hour and I'd buy it... Russ is a frickin' genius.