1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Purchase the latest Yellowjackets recording Raising Our Voice from our Buzz Store. We have signed copies available!

Question about rhythms on Longings song. Going mad trying to

Discussion in 'Will's Room' started by drumstudio2000, Oct 10, 2014.

1. drumstudio2000

drumstudio2000 Active Member Thread Starter

Hi Will!
    First of all, thanks for your return! man, you are one of my greatest inspirations since my first year studying drums...now, almost 20 years later, im doing this for living..
    you had been always an inspiration when times are not good, listen YJ records allways turn my mood and my energies on..

well, im on my first week listening A rise in the road... Longing...wow, what a composition...
    m triyng to transcribe or understand the metrics and rhytms in that song.
    I think the piano intro vamp is 7/8+ 4/4...but when u go double-like with your ride..wow. incredible rhythmic effect!

Im a little lost with your metric modulation on that ride part...
    over the solos is more clear a 6/4 + 3/4 (or subdivitions of that).. but im getting lost when the piano vamp cames in....your ride is 5:2 modulation over the piano...or could you tell me what modulation is? Im hearing and seen ghost right now...lol.

Your touch and your sound, like good wines...getting better every year.

One of my dreams came true when YJ came to argentina a couple of years ago, with marcus, incredible! but im waiting to see you, come again, I will invite you eat the most incredible asado (meat) you never tasted. lol

best wishes
    juan

ps1; Ive read that you do some Skype lesons time to time? Oh,I would really love if I could take one with you... could you give me more info or a link to know how to get one? Really thanks!!!

Ps2. A link of a video in wich i play inspired by your playing, hope you to like it, any comment would be well recived!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61UdkLwCLpk

2. bernie12345

bernie12345 Esteemed Member

Juan,

Longing is a very tricky tune from a rhythmic standpoint. I have Russell's chart, and it is in 5/4. The piano figures are 8th-note triplets, so, if you start the tune - it would help to listen to it slowed down - and count 15 notes, you have one bar. Will switches to a double-time feel at bar 14. Good luck!

Barnaby Finch

3. drumstudio2000

drumstudio2000 Active Member Thread Starter

Okey. things are more clear now. thanks to bernie...im still trying to understand the double time feel ride pattern... later i will come with the solution or the asking for help :D

edit. the ride pattern seems to be in a 3:2 relation against the triplet eights on the piano...but I still cant figure it out what is its the relation agains the 5/4... but Ive realized that it takes two 5/4 measures to the ride 3:2 feel to start the cycle again..

Waita, another scotch please!!! :D

edit 2
    wow, if im geting it right, this magic ride pattern results on a 9:2 relation agains the 5/4...is this polyrhytm even exists? lol

4. Collin

Collin New Member

well, im on my first week listening A rise in the road... Longing...wow, what a composition...
    m triyng to transcribe or understand the metrics and rhytms in that song.
    I think the piano intro vamp is 7/8+ 4/4...but when u go double-like with your ride..wow. incredible rhythmic effect!