1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Purchase the latest Yellowjackets recording Raising Our Voice from our Buzz Store. Depending on availability, signed copies may be available.

New Release: Cohearence, April 22

Discussion in 'Pass It On' started by Gert, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Gert

Gert Popular Member Thread Starter

2. mark

mark Esteemed Member

When will Cohearence be available for pre-order from this site?

Rudy likes this.
  3. Rudy

Rudy Administrator Staff Member

We anticipate having this information on release day. We do want to offer signed CDs, but the way items are sold through Amazon, we are trying to work out the logistics. Thanks!

4. Cor

Cor Popular Member

Very curious if there will be a HD version available (96k/24b) at HDtracks.com... Looking forward to this new release!!!

5. Rudy

I haven't heard anything yet, but that would be my go-to source as well.

I do not see a listing for a vinyl version either. The only recent Jackets recording on vinyl is Timeline (mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio, and pressed at RTI), but it looks as though Mack Ave. only dabbled in it and released a small number of titles.

Cor, I am checking on these for you and will let you know when I hear back.

Thanks for visiting!

6. Rudy

I have just posted the information page for the new recording, including sound samples.

Cohearance (2016) »

Still no word on high-res or vinyl versions of the new recording, but I'm working on it. For now I would say "no," but I don't mind being pleasantly surprised. ;)

7. Rudy

We will have signed copies of Cohearance available on our BuzZ Promotions Amazon store on May 5th. Since we are doing this through Amazon, we have no way to offer the signed CDs as a preorder, and they require us to ship immediately upon receipt of order. The band has the signed CDs out on the road (available now, at the gigs), so once the discs are back in our hands, we will be able to ship them.

We will have a link for it here in the forum, and also on the main site.

Thanks for your patience!

8. Cor

Cor Popular Member

Well, the new album is on HD tracks....kind of.... Here in Holland i get the message: Not available due to region restrictions??? I'm sure the Yellowjackets have nothing to do with it. Probably some weird policy of the record company.. They make it very hard for people who wants to download LEGAL music that way...

Oh well, now I'm listening on spotify... It's a fine album, it sounds a bit modest to me, but maybe that is because of spotify. There's some great music on it though, that's for sure. Ofcourse I have to listen to it a couple of times for a decent ' review'. However: My favourites so far are ' Fran's scene' by Will, beautiful tunes bij Russ ' Anticipation and the title track'. Eddie's in the house sounds like ' Less is mo 2.0.!' ha ha, great!! Hopefully the 'region restrictions thing' is temporary, and can I listen to a decent version of the album. Thanx for the great music guys!!!

9. Rudy

I just checked after reading your post, and yes, the last three albums are now up on HDTracks. (I don't recall seeing Rise in the Road or Timeline earlier, but I have been too busy to keep up on it lately.) I never did hear back from the label or management about high-res or vinyl versions, but at least we know now that high-res is indeed available.

upload_2016-4-22_12-40-44.png

I definitely need to grab those three from HDTracks when I get a chance, likely later in the year. One trick to order "out of region" is to use a VPN service to connect in the US, and use PayPal as a means of payment (so you do not have to use a non-US address with your payment). I have been trying out the VPN Unlimited service for network security when I am on the road, and it gives me a choice of a couple dozen endpoints to connect to, in the US as well as around the world. The Opera web browser folks just announced today that they are bundling a free VPN service into the next version, so that might be an option as well. HDTracks' servers will then see that you're connecting from a US-based address and show it as available. I tried it in the opposite direction--the Santana album Caravanserai is not available in the US, but connecting by VPN to a UK endpoint, I can see that it is available for purchase there.

Keep in mind that I have never tried completing an order this way. But, it might be one way around the region restrictions if it works.

Free VPN | Now built into Opera browser »

10. Cor

Cor Popular Member

Tried the VPN (delevoper Opera version) workaround, but it didn't work for me unfortunatly... :( Well, I will try other methods.
    Still can't believe that I have to go through so much trouble to get a legal download of the album...

(b.t.w. I had the VPN settings on 'US', but still the region restrictions)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  11. Cor

Cor Popular Member

And yes, the rise in the road and timeline are on HD tracks for quite some time now! Hopefully there will be older recordings available on HD in the near future !!
    (The released YJ SACD's sounds great, as well in stereo as an awesome surround mix!!)

12. mark

mark Esteemed Member

I received my copy a couple of days ago and have not stopped listening. I have the music on my phone, car, computer etc.
    Really digging the new material. The album is so damn good. The band sounds better than ever. Thank you Russ and the Yellowjackets for yet another masterpiece.

Martk David

13. Frank

Frank Esteemed Member

Really very interesting new album by the guys. While I feel it drifts a little towards the melancholic towards the end I really love the uptempo tracks like Guarded Optimism, Eddie's in The House and Inevitable Outcome. Golden State is a delicious slow burner, and Fran's Scene is simply classic Jackets. Love the way this one segues from the slightly ominous opening to a sunny glorious optimism. This album has me tapping my feet again after A Rise In The Road, which personally I found a little downbeat.great outing. Thanks to the group for illuminating our lives once again with their talent. Looking forward to seeing you at Ronnie Scotts in London.

14. Rudy

Many labels are starting to push out a lot of high-res product. I know that Verve (another Universal label) has been releasing a lot of classics, and Warner has been releasing entire catalogs of some of the artists. I don't know at what resolution the 80s albums were recorded on, but I know that the CDs tended to sound rather hard/cold, which was a product of the older converters the mastering studios had back in the day. Having those on vinyl takes the edge off somewhat. Anything in the 90s and beyond was likely recorded at 24-bit/96kHz. It would be nice to have them in their original resolution. :) That is, if the labels would show any interest in doing so. I certainly would update my library if that were the case.

15. Frank

Frank Esteemed Member

Having listened to the album virtually non-stop for the last week I have to say this is swiftly becoming one of my favourite YJ releases. Wonderful blend of spiky uptempo and cool laid back vibes. Golden State is really a pretty awesome track, with the background synths adding a a kind of rising crescendo of warmth to what could otherwise have been a sparse tune. What's also really impressive is how wonderfully lyrical and precise Dane Alderson's bass sounds. He fits the band so well its scary. I'm digging virtually every track, which is rare. Fran's Scene and Golden State are favs, but Eddie's In The House, Anticipation and Cohearance are also on repeat play. A special mention too for Inevitable Outcome which is, without doubt, one of the funkiest YJ tunes the guys have put out for quite a while. Alderton's playing on this is, dare I say it, "Haslip standard". This is a first class treat for any long-time Jackets fan.

Rudy likes this.
  16. Cor

Cor Popular Member

Yessss! I tried once more, and finally I succeeded. It works with the VPN. Paid with paypal and I could download the recording!!
    Man, this is something else than spotify. 96/24!!! It's bright, clear, with depth. I love it!!!!
    Thanx!! :)

Rudy likes this.
  17. Rudy

I'm glad it worked out! I need to get the high-res myself. It's just hard when my want list of high-res files is growing all the time. I picked up the latest Clarke/Ponty/Lagrene album D-Stringz from HDTracks a couple of weeks ago--it's another nice sounding recording, with some great playing on it.

One can only hope the labels might decide to give us the old Jackets albums in high-res one of these years. I also wonder who owns the masters to dmp Records, where Bob has recorded many albums in the past. One Music is one of those great lost Jackets classics in my book. :)

mark likes this.
  18. Mark of Cenla

Mark of Cenla Esteemed Member

I REALLY like Cohearence. Yellowjackets is the best band in the world ever. Peace and goodwill.