1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Purchase the latest Yellowjackets recording Raising Our Voice from our Buzz Store. Depending on availability, signed copies may be available.

Bass clarinet

Discussion in 'Bob's Room' started by Deet, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Deet

Deet Popular Member Thread Starter

Hello Mr Mintzer,

Following a thread from another fan concerning recording/amplifying bass clarinet, I have a short question. You mentioned you were using a pickup element on the mouthpiece. I saw some GRP promotional video's for livewires, and always wondered whether you also used the Tenor mic (RE20 I believe, but could have been ye olde 441) to capture some of the sound of the clarinet as well.

As a soundengineer I amplified bass clarinet on a few occasions, but never really had to create "pressure" if you know what I mean. I just had to balance the instrument slightly in a woondwind/horn section, so I just used a nice condensermic a couple of inches in front of the instrument, about 1/3 down from the mouthpiece, as I did'nt have to give a lot back to monitors.

I always liked the almost "synth" sort of sound from livewires. Almost as if there's a chorus thing going on.

Thanx in advance, and greetings from the Netherlands!