1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Signed copies of Cohearance are now available through our Buzz Promotions Store on Amazon. Click here to order!

Tuesday at Ronnies

Discussion in 'Forum Archives' started by Coco, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco

Coco Guest Thread Starter

Thankyou Yellowjackets for an amazing night of music at Ronnie Scott's on Tuesday. It was our musical highlight of the year, and such a huge bonus being able to chat with you ! Definately worth the trip down from Scotland!
    For everyone who didn't make it to Ronnies this week,I can report that the band were incredible! So tight in the rhythm department as others have commented on recently,with Marcus making a huge contribution to the new sound that the YJ's make. It was a great surprise when his wife Jean showed up to sing a beautiful rendition of 'Healing Waters'. We stayed for both sets and the band's dozen or so tunes spanned from the 'Like a River'album to 'Time Squared'.
    Really awesome stuff!
    VERY inventive arrangements, inspired and impeccable playing, a great mix and four genuinely nice guys in to the bargain(They even posed for a photo with us!)- What more can one ask for?!!
    Thankyou again and please come back to the UK very soon!
    Best Wishes
    Coco and Paula

2. tony morris

tony morris Guest Thread Starter

> I made it to to Ronnies on Thursday and would echo everything that you guys have said. From memory, the set lists were pretty similar to those4 you have written down. Unfortunately the first set was blighted by a whole load of noisy poseurs who clearly turned up to say they'd been to Ronnies and talked right through the set. The real Yellowjackets fans seemed to stay for the second set which we were able to enjoy without the distraction of teh "talkers". Bob M actually commented on those who were talking so much.

What I noticed is how much the feel of the rhythm section has changed with Marcus' style which swings in an altogether different way to that of William Kennedy. It has given the band a new lease of life and I came away thinking that this was probably the best of the ten or twelve gigs that I have seen YJ's perform here in London over the past dozen years or so. I can only hope that their next visit isn't too long to wait for!

We sat Thankyou Yellowjackets for an amazing night of music at Ronnie
    > Scott's on Tuesday. It was our musical highlight of the year,
    > and such a huge bonus being able to chat with you ! Definately
    > worth the trip down from Scotland!
    > For everyone who didn't make it to Ronnies this week,I can
    > report that the band were incredible! So tight in the rhythm
    > department as others have commented on recently,with Marcus
    > making a huge contribution to the new sound that the YJ's make.
    > It was a great surprise when his wife Jean showed up to sing a
    > beautiful rendition of 'Healing Waters'. We stayed for both sets
    > and the band's dozen or so tunes spanned from the 'Like a
    > River'album to 'Time Squared'.
    > Really awesome stuff!
    > VERY inventive arrangements, inspired and impeccable playing, a
    > great mix and four genuinely nice guys in to the bargain(They
    > even posed for a photo with us!)- What more can one ask for?!!
    > Thankyou again and please come back to the UK very soon!
    > Best Wishes
    > Coco and Paula

3. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Guest Thread Starter

> ....Unfortunately the first set was blighted by a whole load of noisy poseurs who clearly turned up to say they'd been to Ronnies and talked right through the set....

I was at Scotts to see the YJ's last year, and whilst I have nothing
    against the club, unfortunately " noisy poseurs" aptly describes some of the people who were there that nigh; it was a pleasure to be at the Glee Club in Birmingham on Sunday last where the atmosphere was superb and the band successfully asked people not to smoke through the set, I wonder if they managed to get the management at Scotts to do the same ?

I am more disappointed to hear that they played Tortoise and Hare at Scotts, as they did not play this piece at Glee !

But there is no question they are a scintillating band !

4. tony morris

tony morris Guest Thread Starter

The audience was aked not to smoke and they didn't.

Interestingly enough, last night we were at Pizza Express in Dean Street where the no-noise thing is emphasised. Not a word could be heard throughout the set (Lizz Wright).

> I was at Scotts to see the YJ's last year, and whilst I have
    > nothing
    > against the club, unfortunately " noisy poseurs"
    > aptly describes some of the people who were there that nigh; it
    > was a pleasure to be at the Glee Club in Birmingham on Sunday
    > last where the atmosphere was superb and the band successfully
    > asked people not to smoke through the set, I wonder if they
    > managed to get the management at Scotts to do the same ?

> I am more disappointed to hear that they played Tortoise and
    > Hare at Scotts, as they did not play this piece at Glee !

> But there is no question they are a scintillating band !

5. Frank

Frank Popular Member

The thing about Ronnies is its a very famous Jazz club in the heart of Soho. Just the place to be seen even if you don't have the faintest interest in Jazz. I've no doubt some of the customers we're there just to chat and eat their spaghetti.
    Having said that the atmosphere on Wednesday seemed pretty good. You get quite close to the band, and the acoustics are ok.
    As for smoking, well aren't jazz clubs supposed to be smoky?

6. Paul Simmons

> The thing about Ronnies is its a very famous Jazz club in the
    > heart of Soho. Just the place to be seen even if you don't have
    > the faintest interest in Jazz. I've no doubt some of the
    > customers we're there just to chat and eat their spaghetti.
    > Having said that the atmosphere on Wednesday seemed pretty
    > good. You get quite close to the band, and the acoustics are ok.
    > As for smoking, well aren't jazz clubs supposed to be smoky?

Well you are right I have been to Scotts during the early 1970's, in the days when jazz clubs were smoky, but then was then and now is now, and maybe Wednesday was a good day crowdwise, but Tuesday and Thursday sounded less so; yes your close to the music and the acoustics are good, but these days it must be a right not only for the paying public but the musicians to have a smoke free atmosphere ?
    I simply want to go there to listen and watch,don't you ? That's
    what the punters are paying for.

That does not get away from the fact that the YJ's are a brilliant
    set of musicians !

7. Paul Simmons

>

> .....but Tuesday and Thursday sounded less so....

Correct this to just Thursday, Tuesday not included !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.