1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Signed copies of Cohearance are now available through our Buzz Promotions Store on Amazon. Click here to order!

Should Russ Record a Solo Album?

Discussion in 'Russ's Room' started by Rudy, Nov 29, 2003.

?

Should Russ record a solo album?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. minkza

minkza New Member

2. mark

mark Esteemed Member

So Russ, have you decided to record a solo album? We all want it.

3. JimKangas

JimKangas New Member

I recently obtained a copy of "Impressions Of Curtis Mayfield" and I was just blown away by your playing on that. I for one, would love to hear more of this ilk. I'm not all that familiar with the YJ (I am a guitarist and I was led to the album above by Phil Upchurch), but you need to step out more!
    Thx,
    Jim

4. Dwight Arroyo

Dwight Arroyo Active Member

Yes, absolutely!

Russ is so humble, there should be more people like him on this planet.

I certainly don't want to downplay the rest of the YellowJackets who are
    also exceptional individuals as well.

I think it would be a very refreshing creation for us all. I don't know if Jimmy
    could record with him although I would prefer him as a bassist and of course
    Bob on the wind instruments.

Maybe Russell can alternate between Marcus Baylor and Will Kennedy on drums
    but you simply cannot go wrong either way.

All-in-all, the album if done, will be refreshing indeed. We all know that the music
    these guys generate has only Love, Hope, Inspiration and up-to-date news being
    played out musically in such an awesome fashion that it can only serve as a message
    for all those who wish to understand.

Thanks YellowJackets!

Dwight

5. Dwight Arroyo

Dwight Arroyo Active Member

You may be so right!

6. Rudy

Rudy Administrator Staff Member Thread Starter

Just to clarify for anyone following along, "solo" here simply means a recording outside of Yellowjackets. It is a common term used more in popular music when an artists performs outside a group they are heavily associated with.

I'm a huge Bill Evans fan, and really like the interplay the trios had, as well as the space Evans gave his partners in the group to solo on their own. Piano trio is one of my favorite jazz formats, in fact. (And this is coming from a former woodwind player. ;) )

As for a solo recording where someone is playing alone with no other musicians? That is another story entirely. It can be done, and I can find it enjoyable in smaller portions (and not always in jazz either), perhaps a track or two on an entire album. But I can't see it being as rewarding to listen to as it is when a jazz trio gets that synergy going. Or at least, having some sort of accompaniment (as Lyle Mays did on Solo: Improvisations for Expanded Piano, using additional keyboards to add texture). As much as I like Bill Evans, I found Conversations With Myself to come off a bit awkward.

That said, I could see a trio record with Russ, a bassist like Dave Holland or Marc Johnson, someone like Jack DeJohnette on drums...meaty stuff, but different enough from Yellowjackets. I've heard too many "solo" recordings where an artist steps outside their group and ends up playing the same style of music. (And I'm also talking about music aside from jazz.)

Russ has performed in the past as part of a trio with Steve Schaeffer and Michael Valerio. Just some food for thought. ;)