1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Signed copies of Cohearance are now available through our Buzz Promotions Store on Amazon. Click here to order!

New Eric Marienthal Album (Featuring Russ Ferrante)

Discussion in 'Out Of Town' started by mark, Jul 12, 2005.

1. mark

mark Esteemed Member Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Just checked out the Eric Marienthal sirte and learned that he will be coming out with a new CD. Russ Ferrante will also be on it. From what I've read, it sure sounds like an interesting album, with a more 'live' feel to it. Read below (take from the site) ...

Got You Covered!

Ever since I started making records I've been dreaming about making one like this. A long time ago I had a conversation with Lee Ritenour about how I should approach making my next record. I knew that it was time for a change and I was excited to try something different. Lee told me that I should take a risk and record live in the studio. Get some great players together, go into the studio and just go for it. The great thing about recording live is that the music has a great energy and connection that you just can't get when you build a record a piece at a time. The scary thing is that you don't really know what you're going to end up with until after you've done it. But that turned out to be the best part. It was a real thrill to walk into the studio with a bunch of arrangements and watch it all happen.

The record is primarily acoustic with just a few electric instruments here and there. I put together Peter Erskine, Russell Ferrante, Russ Freeman (who produced the record), Dave Carpenter, Luis Conte and Chick Corea to play on this record…… not bad!! I also decided to record all covers, hence the name, "Got You Covered". We recorded some standards like "I've Got The World On A String", "Moody's Mood For Love" and "My One & Only Love", (which I recorded with Chick as a duet….. and we did it in one take, thank you very much!!). Gordon Goodwin arranged the "Bach two Part Invention in D Minor" and Russ Freeman arranged a very cool Gipsy Kings tune called "Love & Liberte". We did some contemporary tunes too like "You've got a Friend", "Emotion", and "I Will". The release date is September 20th on Peak Records. You can even pick it up right here on my site. How convenient! Hope you check it out

2. Mark of Cenla

Mark of Cenla Esteemed Member

I realize that this is rather late, but I think I will check this one out... always on the lookout for good music. Peace.

3. DrewSchultz88

DrewSchultz88 Popular Member

Wow! I saw him with Chick Corea at the bluenote recently. He's outstanding, I know I'll be checking this one out!

4. mark

Hi Guys,

Got You Covered is a really nice album. Drew, if you're expecting fiery solos by Eric, you wont find much on this CD. The only Marienthal album that featured Eric at his best is Crossroads. It was released in 1990 and features John Patitucci (he also produced the album), Dave Weckl, Russell Ferrante, Dave Witham, John Beasley, Luis Conte, Vinnie Colauita, Chick Corea and Terri Lynn Carrinton. Crossroads is a trully awesome CD. Its rather sad that Eric does not make albums like this anymore. For those who have not heard it, you must get yourself a copy. Though is getting pretty old, it still sounds fresh, and will do for the next 20 years at least! Ferrante writes 3 wonderful songs and his playing and soloing is top class ... as usual.

Marienthal is an awesome sax player. I have a copy of the Chick Corea Elektric Band Live in Montreux 2004 DVD and Eric really shines throughout.

God bless.

Mark David

5. mark

Speaking of the CCEB Live In Montreux 2004 DVD, I wonder how on Earth do they actually remember all their parts. The first set featured the band playing music from the latest To The Stars CD. How they were able to remember their parts, is beyond me.
    Best wishes.

Mark David

6. DrewSchultz88

DrewSchultz88 Popular Member

I'll definitely check out crossroads, it sounds awesome.

7. Mark of Cenla

Mark of Cenla Esteemed Member

I finally bought it, and I really like it. Any CD with Russell Ferrante and Russ Freeman can't be all bad. :D Peace.

8. Lester B

Lester B Active Member

Crossroads is good but also check out his first album on GRP 'Voices Of The Heart' -cheesey title but some funky playing on it all the same

Lester