1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Signed copies of Cohearance are now available through our Buzz Promotions Store on Amazon. Click here to order!

Marcus has arrived

Discussion in 'Forum Archives' started by Mark Perrins, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Perrins

Mark Perrins Guest Thread Starter

Saw the Yellowjackets at Ronnie Scott's in London on Monday. Superb, as always, but was particularly impressed with Marcus Baylor. I saw the 'jackets soon after he joined and liked what I heard, I thought his drumming style fitted well with the band. But in the three years since, he has really grown into the drummers chair. I, like many, was gutted when Will left the band, but whilst always being a fan of Will's playing, now feel Marcus has earned the right to not be compared to Will, but celebrated for what he brings to the 'jackets. Talked to Marcus briefly after the gig and he's a great guy to boot. Only sad I had to miss the second set because the London Underground stops running soon after midnight - thought London was a busy City?
    Jimmy also delivered the best live solo I have heard him play. I didn't know whether to go home and practice my bass more, or just give up!
    But thank you Yellowjackets - I expect touring can be hard at times, but we are all glad you make the effort!

2. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Guest Thread Starter

> ....but was particularly impressed with Marcus
    > Baylor.....
    > Jimmy also delivered the best live solo I have heard him play.
    > I didn't know whether to go home and practice my bass more, or
    > just give up!
    > But thank you Yellowjackets - I expect touring can be hard at
    > times, but we are all glad you make the effort!

My wife and I were at the Glee gig the previous day and really I have to agree 100%, Marcus really has come into his own, I truly could not imagine the band without him !
    JH also played a brilliant solo that night, although for me it was
    a 'tale of two cities', as the second set exclipsed the first by a long way. Can you remember whether they played Tortoise and Hare on Monday at Scotts ? I think it is such a brilliant piece I was surprised they did not do it at Birmingham. Although the Time Squared CD itself is exceptional I have never been too keen on the title track, but they played it live with far greater authority and I felt
    that BM had become more fluent on the "leccy wind machine " and this
    made the whole piece sound far stronger.

Apart from the time signatures they get into, ( some of which are
    implied rather than played ) the main band feature for me is the interchange between Russ, Jim and Bob playing the unison or harmonic duet lines, whilst either the keyboard or bass provide the bass notes, it is the first thing which really struck me about the band; of course the strength of melodic content within that framework creates the final drawing - Marcus is thus the canvas, the paint and the varnish all in one !

3. Frankantz

Frankantz Guest Thread Starter

I was sitting next to an experienced drummer at Ronnie Scotts on Wednesday. Eventually he had to go and sit near the stage to watch Marcus more closely because he couldn't believe what he was hearing. Marcus' work on the bass drum was so intertwined with Jimmy's bass it was almost indistinguishable. But it was there. And it was powerful tight playing.
    He also made the point that what was so wonderful about Baylor's work was the way he almost seemed to be on the point of losing it before nailing it solid. This drummer brings so much energy and verve to the group it's astounding. Like many others I'm a big Kennedy fan. Now I can truthfully say I'm a big Baylor fan too.
    As Mintzer commented to the crowd after one particular blurring Marcus solo: 'Don't try and do that at home. You'll end up injuring yourself", which got quite a laugh.

Yes, and he is a genuinely good guy too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.