1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Signed copies of Cohearance are now available through our Buzz Promotions Store on Amazon. Click here to order!

Glee Club

Discussion in 'Forum Archives' started by arnie spilman, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arnie spilman

arnie spilman Guest Thread Starter

Guys,

Great set at the Glee Club Sun 16/11!
    First time in a long time that I've managed to see you live.
    Loved it all, especially the new takes on Cape Town and Claires Song.
    How do to keep up that level of inventivness and superb musicanship?
    We had a great night, thank you.
    Hope you too enjoyed your first gig in BirmingHAM!

Love and Best Wishes,

Arnie and Dot

2. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Guest Thread Starter

> Great set at the Glee Club Sun 16/11!

Agreed on that one ! We came from near London to see the band as I saw them last year at Scotts, and both gigs were great although I thought your first set last night was a little jaded compared to what I remember of the performance at Scotts. But this is not a criticism
    as touring is a tough job !

My only disappointment was that the guys did not play Tortoise and the Hare which is my particular favourite, but other than that it was a superb night for music and for the YJ's

We sat next to an elderly guy from around the Midlands who was a drummer and was from an era of jazz a la Stan Kenton, Buddy Rich and he thought the band was fantastic, a nice reflection on jazz bridging the age bandwidth ?

Paul & Sue

3. Rob Rolph

Rob Rolph Guest Thread Starter

Great gig in Birmingham... and a great sounding venue too. Went along with other members of Nearly Dan, Steely Dan tribute band.... we were all blown completely away. Every YJ band member is a thrilling and consumate performer...and together, Ive never seen anything quite like it!.
    It's never about tricks and flash with these guys, it's all about time and melody.
    Compositionally...they have very few equals (if any! /common/emoticons/grin.gif.
    Please come back soon
    Love from Nearly Dan

4. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Guest Thread Starter

> Great gig in Birmingham... . Every YJ band member
    > is a thrilling and consumate performer..... all
    > about time and melody.
    > Compositionally...they have very few equals (if any! /common/emoticons/grin.gif.

I don't know if you checked this site a few weeks back when there
    was some stick flying around ( mostly from people in the US as far as I could gauge ) about previous drummers and style of music -
    only a few individuals were making rumblings - but seeing Marcus
    Baylor again ( I saw them 1 year back in London) only convinced me further that this guy fits into the framework of the YJ's as perfectly
    as anything can !

I can see a difference in one year that the rapport between JH and
    MB is quite something now, and watching this in harmony with the
    time, compositional and melodic forces within the band as a whole
    is certainly quite stunning to witness.

I have been trying to persuade the YJ management( only gently of course ! ) to play somewhere like the Swan Theatre at Wycombe
    ( because its near me ? ) but it is a music venue and there are plenty of good musos and others who would jump at the chance of seeing a band like the YJ's down south, other than the middle of
    London !

I hope one day to seriously achieve that objective, I think this is one of the finest bands I have heard through recent years, and as much as I like Ronnie Scotts as a club, it is out in the sticks where people are itching to see and hear this quality of music, let's hope that it happens soon ?

PS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.