1. To eliminate spam on our forum, we have enabled filtering. Pleaes note: 1) Some new member accounts may need to be manually activated. 2) Some new messages might require staff approval before appearing. 3) New members are not able to post links in messages; this feature is unlocked after a certain number of posts. Please contact us via the link at the bottom of the forum if you have any issues with your new membership. Thank you for understanding!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Signed copies of Cohearance are now available through our Buzz Promotions Store on Amazon. Click here to order!

Cohearance

Discussion in 'Russ's Room' started by Frank, May 4, 2016.

1. Frank

Frank Esteemed Member Thread Starter

Hi Russ, I have to say I'm really enjoying the new album. Personally I think it's the strongest set of tracks the band has put out for a while and is deservedly getting some great reviews. I'm really looking forward to catching the set at Ronnie Scotts later this year. Dane is a great addition to the group. I find his bass playing nimble and involving, and in places uncannily reminiscent of Jimmy's. It sounds like everyone is on top form on this one and having a lot of fun. Songwriting, playing...all brilliant. Thank you.

2. Simmo

Simmo Esteemed Member

Hi Frank, it seems like ages since I last made a submission on this site, but I am yet to get the new recording but what I have heard so far sounds real good, but it is good to see you on the site, I too have booked in to see the guys in London on the Friday so maybe if you are there that night we can meet up ? I have had a poor year as my wife succumbed to a serious heart condition which she is recovering from now but it has been tough, however it will be great to see and hear the guys again as it must be almost 3 years or more since I last saw them, I really can't wait !
    Cheers Simmo.

3. Frank

Hi Simmo, really great to hear from you. It's been a while since I posted too. Really sorry to hear about your wife. I do hope things are improving for you. As it happens my wife has also just emerged from serious illness so I understand what you must have gone through. We're booked on the Friday too so yes, it would be great to meet. The new album is just a treat. Hope you've had a chance to listen to it and agree. Excellent writing. Superb musicianship. Has there ever been a group so consistently brilliant over such a long time span?

4. Simmo

Simmo Esteemed Member

Hi Frank, Firstly I am hoping that your wife is recovering well it has been such a life-changing situation for us, but I guess we all just have to cope with it. On the date of the YJ's gig we are sitting down the front somewhere but not sure whether I will be with my wife or my son, as my wife is not a huge jazz fan and of course her condition has to be taken into account and we are based in Bucks so it is a bit of trip for her.
    In the end I ordered the new album and for sure it is good though I have not given it many hearings yet due to commitments. As you said their continued excellence over such a long time is unparalleled, they are still the only band that me tingle on a regular basis when I hear much of their repertoire.

5. 44D

44D New Member

COHERENCE - A Long Time in Coming!

I understand the purpose of "hooks" in certain styles of Jazz, along with explosions of sound; e.g., drum solos, the crashing of cymbals, etc. When a Jazz ensemble is new, this of course expected in the hopes of capturing the listener's excitement and to make that listener "toe tap" or "pat his/her hand" on the chair arm. It's not bad to do. But, Jazz also needs to evolve into other forms to keep from being boring and allowing the listener to immediately recognize whom he or she is listening.

Money and "likeability" is, perhaps the biggest driving force in a new band's bag of tricks to stay alive and meaningful for future purchases. Again, it's not bad and I'm not damning such things from Jazz Fusion groups to remain a buying necessity from any listener. However, like Yellowjackets needed to do in it's very early days, and has now successfully accomplished from its very beginnings, has now moved away from unnecessary sounds and musical "mishandlings" since its first recordings. Yellowjackets, with its cradling offerings in "Coherence" wraps us and now gives the listener the true, pure, purpose of Jazz Fusion by letting the instruments, themselves blend in a meaningful order, keeping us warm and yes, giving me the "warm fuzzies."

The instruments "slide" purposefully and with beautiful, pure aplomb, loveliness and meaning without need of repetitive "hooks;" thus, giving the listener a wonderful "heard it first" evolution of this Band and a newer appreciation of Jazz Fusion that we needed, and never realized, I suspect, and I knew without really knowing I've wanted! You can hear them going in this direction with "Altered States;" but not entirely without "hooks" and has now and successfully managed to break through that "wall."

Well, this writer appreciates the proper blend of instruments, musicality, and musical tonality in Coherence when the Yellowjackets expertly glide into each other that is not only pleasant, but meaningful - - allowing me to actually "listen" i.e., it is so rare that it's nearly impossible to find with other Jazz bands.

Coherence is a rare collection of music where the entire quantity of selections does not overpower any other selection, whereby the whole collection is wondrous for their musicality and beauty - and entirely worthy of a Grammy! My impression leads me to one inescapable conclusion, that the Yellowjackets, including their new bass player, has improved to the point that places them head and shoulders above the fray and competition that is well worthy of being at the top of anyone's "list" even though it has taken them well over 3 decades to finally accomplish. Yellowjackets have now truly, and wonderfully, moved forward and are a force of the Jazz Fusion scenes, setting new standards for themselves, that will be hard to beat!

In short, Coherence is well worth the money, both from an enjoyment standpoint, but also from a "learning" standpoint in understanding the true meaning of Jazz Fusion!! This Jazz music in finally "Coherent" enough to take the listener on a wonderful, musical, ride without bumps. Smooth with no assaults to your ears and mind.

You can go to any cut on Coherence and not be bored, nor saddled with repetition or hooks. There is no, one, cut that is better than the other. Different, yes, from each cut; yet, very grown up! You know it's Yellowjackets because they do, in fact, have a recognizable sound; yet, because of this wondrous direction they've accomplished, the "Jackets" have re-made themselves into a wholly new, serious, Fusion Jazz ensemble; i.e., there is definitely no "bubble gum" on this Cd. Just enjoyable, serious, and pleasant Fusion that one can actually point to as being "Fusion." They have, or are on the precipice of being, the most serious and terrific sounding Fusion band ever! There's no going back to "Live Wires" or "Four Corners" for the Yellowjackets - - they are now a true, 100%, pure Fusion Jazz ensemble!
    Yes, after 35 years, the Yellowjackets have finally, and irreversibly, grown up.
    Talk to you later!!

44D

6. 44D

44D New Member

Whoops! I've been misspelling the new album name of Cohearance as "Coherence." Very sorry.
    44D

7. Russ

Russ Moderator Yellowjacket

Hi Simmo, Frank and 44D, It's been awhile since I've checked the forum so apologies for my absence. First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your wive's health issues. I'm sure that has been a great challenge. I hope their health will continue to improve. Thank you all for your complimentary comments about Cohearence. I too believe the band has entered a new phase. We are looking forward to our Ronnie Scotts gig this July and I hope to see you there and get a chance to catch up. In the meantime, I wish you all the very best.
    Russ

8. Simmo

Simmo Esteemed Member

Hi Russ, yes it's special listening to the new release and as you said a development new phase for the band, certainly Frank and I are evidently visiting Scotts on the same night and I am coming along with my son so certainly hope to catch up on the night. And for us it will be quite a momentous occasion as it was with my son that we first saw your guys at Scotts back in 2001 just after the release of Mint Jam some 15 years ago ! For me it seems just like yesterday. Until July, oh and dare I ask Russ ,could you throw in Tortoise and Hare on the night ?

9. Russ

Hi Simmo, Tortoise and the Hare it is! Looking forward to seeing you.
    Russ

10. Simmo

Simmo Esteemed Member

Hi Russ, That's great news !
    Interesting thing happened today, I was driving home after visiting my mother and my wife Sue was with me in the car whilst I had Cohearance playing in the car system, and usually she is not that enthusiastic about listening to music in the car and she is not a jazz aficionado, however when it got to Shenandoah she flipped a lid ! She was absolutely knocked out by your version of this traditional piece and she described it as sounding "so much more than it ever was" ; she was bowled over and particularly by Bob's sax playing, it made quite an impression. How about that ?
    best
    Simmo

11. Frank

Tortoise and The Hare! One of my all time favourite YJ tracks. You'll be making at least two fans (but I suspect a whole lot more) very happy Russ! Can't play this without thinking back to my daughter growing up and reading her The Hungry Caterpillar. Very emotional and resonant tune for me.

Well, I like the new album so much I've bought it twice! Purchased the HD tracks which sound insanely great. I guess I probably need the autographed CD too, so that will probably be purchase no 3!:rolleyes:

Glad to hear your wife is a 'convert' Simmo!

12. Simmo

Simmo Esteemed Member

I think Tortoise and The Hare is my particular favourite track of them all, particularly the version on Mint Jam. I bought the Cohearance CD via Amazon but being in the UK I didn't get the autographed one but it is the music that counts, and not sure if I can count my wife as a "YJ convert" Frank, although she has been to see the band on 2 or 3 occasions, but I am so looking forward to seeing the guys in July.

13. Russ

Hi Simmo,
    Just wanted to let you know we'll be playing at Yewfield on the 17th and Zeffirelli's on the 18th right after Ronnies. I seem to recall that was closer to you. Anyway I hope to see you at on of our forthcoming gigs. all the best, Russ

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  14. Simmo

Simmo Esteemed Member

Hi Russ, I am definitely going to be at Ronnies on Friday and indeed we saw you at Zeffirelli's a while back but we actually travelled quite a long way to go there as we did when we saw the band in Paris. We are just about 40 miles from London so Ronnies is definitely the closest venue but it is good to hear you are playing elsewhere in the UK. Not too sure where Yewfield is but it is probably up country somewhere. Looking forward to seeing you at Ronnies.
    all the best Simmo

15. Russ

OK Simmo, Looking forward to seeing you in a few days! Thanks so much.
    Russ

16. Simmo

Simmo Esteemed Member

Russ and the boys, another fantastic night watching and listening to you guys at Ronnies last night ! The band was sharp and full of energy throughout and undoubtedly Dane is a great addition to the unit, a superb bassist. My son Russell has seen the band 3 or 4 times since 2001 and he thought that last night was the best one of the lot ! I have loved watching all the shows in the past years as within the confines of the musical set infrastructure there is the virtuosity of the musicians and of course that takes various different paths on the day - I have loved them all equally. But I have to say I think the band has moved into a different musical era now and it is refreshing and exciting.
    I am sorry that I did not manage to have a quick chat with Will or Bob but I have attached a snap taken last night, it was great after all these years to meet you Frank and your wife.
    Hey Russ is Dane going to have a presence on the Buzz Forum ? He must have earned his "Yellow Jacket" by now ! Analogy to a well known golfing term !!!
    For now good luck on the rest of your tour and hope to see you again at another gig, not sure when, but it was a great night.
    best Simmo and Russell

Attached Files:

17. Frank

Hey Guys, Thanks for an incredible set! Simmo, great to hang out with you and Russell at last, and huge thanks to your son for taking the snapshot of us and Russ. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that gig. I agree the band seemed to be sparking. There was a togetherness that was great to see, helped by the truly magnificent compositions from the most recent album. My wife is a big fan of 'Cohearance' the tune. I simply love the movement and progression on Golden State, which was a great opener. Then straight into Fran's Scene. So my personal two favourite tracks off the album right off. My wife whispered I was grinning like a cheshire cat! Dane is a huge talent. Loved his bass ballad interlude. Will, magnificent as ever. Bob had us in stitches with his comments about the band happily signing anything put in front of them, including Miles Davis albums. Russ, it was a real pleasure chatting to you again, and interesting to discuss the links between music, art and architecture. I started listening to the Jackets back in 1982 and feel fortunate that you and the band are still around making this wonderful music that means so much to so many. Please pass on our huge appreciation to the rest of the band and support team. All the best for the ongoing dates. I look forward to seeing you again soon.
    Frank

18. Simmo

Simmo Esteemed Member

Yes Frank it was a brilliant night, I hope that Dane remains with the band for some time to come as he is clearly a brilliant player and a really nice guy too !
    The new recording has been played several times over in car, in house, in bed even and I now have a new favourite "Anticipation", this is a superb piece of neck-tingling music but it is one of a great collection of work by the boys. I was thinking of popping over to Italy to see the band but just realised my wife's passport is out of date.
    Let's hope they grace our shores again soon.
    Simmo.

19. Russ

Greetings Frank and Simmo, Indeed a great treat to see and speak with you at Ronnies the other night. Thanks so much for coming. We so appreciate your support of the band and your encouragement. Glad you're digging Dane. He is indeed a very special musician and a terrific bandmate. Since seeing you we had a thoroughly enjoyable visit to the Lake District where we played two concerts. Then it was off to Paris. Two fantastic gigs there and two days free to explore those amazing Parisian museums. That was so inspiring. We are presently in Krakow, Poland and took the opportunity today to visit the Auschwitz-Birkenau museums. After being inspired by the transcendent art on display in Paris, we were dumbfounded and devastated by what took place in these camps. Important to understand the heights and the depths we humans are capable of.

20. Simmo

Simmo Esteemed Member

Russ, It sounds like the gigs are going very well. I must admit I loved touring and playing, when I was younger we saw so much of Europe though never visited Poland but I always wanted to witness the sights that you have been to, as you say vital that we fully appreciate what people are liable to do to each other. Quite a contrast from arty Paris to Auschwitz. Keep producing these musical gems Russ. Simmo